Food Day Event Ideas
Here's a short list of Food Day ideas especially for schools. We'll add to the list, so check back occassionally. Also, if you have any ideas for the list, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll put it up.
- Host a film screening.
There are tons of great food documentaries including Food Inc., Nourish, What’s On Your Plate, Supersize Me, The Real Dirt on Farmer John, King Corn and more.
- Set up a school-food tasting to illustrate some of the new school food regulations. (See A Guide to Taste Testing Local Foods in Schools available to download from Vermont FEED)
- Set up a healthy food taste test or a “Fear Factor” Veggie Challenge
- Create a peer-to-peer cooking class to create healthy, easy and fun to prepare snacks
- Create a Junk Food Hall of Shame
- Organize a Hunger Banquet
- Bring new people into the school garden project
- Start a new school garden project.
- Connect with Healthy Schools New York for all kinds of for helpful links, resources, webinars and more to develop and sustain a healthy school food environment.
- See also Vermont FEED's great resources for even more ideas and tools to make it happen.
- The folks at kidsgardening.com also have some great ideas.
- Anything you can imagine!